Be a part of Asian Heritage Month at the 16th annual explorASIAN 2012 Festival during the month of May. explorASIAN 2012 Festival celebrates Asian arts, cultures and contributions as part of the harmonious diversity of Canada.
The month-long festival will present an exciting variety of events, including dance, music, visual arts and poetry with the first event that kicks off May 04, 2012.
The Magical Encounter explores the intersection between music, word, dance, multimedia and cultural traditions. The Magical Encounter is co-presented by SFU Woodward’s, and will open explorASIAN 2012 on Friday, May 4 at the Fei & Milton Wong Experimental Theatre.
“We’re very excited about this year’s festival,” said Winnie Cheung, Co-President of Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (VAHMS). “For the first time in the festival’s sixteen-year history, explorASIAN is producing an original, inter-cultural dance and music event that explores the connections between different Asian-Canadian cultures.”
Check out the number of Asian-Canadian themed events during Asian Heritage Month:
- May 5: “The Magical Encounter” – matinee show for youth & seniors
- May 4 –25: “Generation One” art exhibition at various venues with an official opening at the International Arts Gallery
- May 1–31: World Poetry International Festival at Richmond Cultural Centre, the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre at UBC and various locations in Metro Vancouver
- May 6: Zyryab – the kick off event for the 8th Annual International Jondo Flamenco Festival
- May 6: National AHM Video Conference on the theme “What Are We Mutating To?”
- May 12: B.C. Chinese Orchestra Recycle for Life Concert featuring minority music from S.W. China
- May 17: Photographic Expressions of Asia
- May 19: Multicultural Film Festival
- May 27: Chinese Canadian Youth Concert
- May 31: repercussion & the opening of VIBC’s City of Bhangra Festival
Visit the Vancouver Asian Heritage Month Society (VAHMS) for more information on events and tickets.